Sunday, December 2, 2012

Make It Monday #118



Hello and welcome to another linky party at Make It Monday! Once again we are excited to see your creations fill the gallery and inspire all of us. The design team was free to create anything we wanted since there were no sponsor images to work with and I opted to create a  mixed media tree. I was inspired by a project that Christy Tomlinson made last December and I'm finally getting around to making my own. Next, I'd like to do a Christmas themed tree for my home and my goal is to make a mixed media piece each year that I can pass on to my kids and my future (like way--way--way off) grandchildren lol.

The tree is super simple to make, I chose 7 dp's and a small tag from the Fancy Pants-It's the Little Things collection and placed them in the order I wanted...


each section was cut to size with scissors and set aside. Next I chose a crossword puzzle dp from the Kaisercraft Timeless collection and tore into sections then decoupaged onto my 6 x 12 canvas...


I did not want the background paper to overshadow the dp's I used for my tree so I poured white acrylic paint into a disposable bowl and diluted it with water. This is an easy way to create your own transparent paint and then I brushed a light coat over the paper...


with my background toned down I am ready to decoupage my tree layers starting with the trunk and working my way up. I stop and dry each layer as I go and if you have a heat tool that's great, if not a blow dryer set to low works just fine. ;) The next step was to shade the blocks so they look like they are a part of the canvas instead of floating on top of it. I prefer to use Faber Castell Pitt pens and normally you choose the predominate color and use a matching pen to shade. I was looking for a dramatic look, since the colors are fairly light, and shaded each block with black instead. I followed up with white enamel accents by Ranger to outline the sections and highlight each one. A fringed kraft flower, from Maya Road, was layered and adorned with a Prima pebble in the center to act as a tree topper. Recollections paper roses and MS butterfly punches add dimension to my project as well as visual interest. Now for some close ups.




Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Paints in Altered Orange, Dab of Yellow and Landscape Green were smeared (yes, smeared is the technical term here lol) in random places over the background paper and I used punchinella (sequin waste) to create random dots for background texture. Rub ons and stamps add more texture and it all came together in the span of a few hours.


Now, are you the least bit curious who my Pick of the Week is...

Congratulations to #156 Karen H
 
who created these enchanting Christmas Rosette Wands
 
This photo is a tease because she created 12 wands in
all and each one is truly magical. Click Karen's link
above to view them and be inspired. Thanks Karen for
sharing your talent with us at MIM!
 
 
 Sponsor
 
 
Prize is a paper pack of the winners choice.

 



Special Sponsor

Visions of Sugarplums
Lori Hairston and Lisa Minckler
are co-hosting a blog hop together with many participants and available prizes.

* Lori is gifting a $20 Visa Card to a winner at MIM who comments on her VOSP links and mentions that they came over from MIM.
Winner will be announced on regular post day at MIM.
 
There will be many other opportunities for prizes, but in order to win the gift offered by Lori at MIM, participants MUST comment on her links and mention MIM, but they are also free to play along with all the other links as well.




Thanks for visiting me today and please drop by my teamies blogs as they have more inspiration in store for you. Also, I hope you'll check out *our very own* Lisa M's fab blog hop and play along to win some extra moolah. Everyone can use a little extra cash this time of year. ;-)

Crafty Hugs,
Lisa xx



 

21 comments:

Rene said...

Projects like this just amaze me!!!! Fabulous job!
Rene :D

Sandie said...

How very creative, I like how you diluted the paint to mute the background paper..... so artistic in design and every detail is so gorgeous!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... LIsa, love this awesome piece of art work. Definitely will be a great piece to pass on to your kids. Love your POTW, too. ... :)

Peanut said...

Oh Lisa! This is just awesome ... and terribly clever of you!
Absolutely stunning, my friend! Thanks for sharing the how-to.

hugs.

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi Lisa .What a fabulous tree ! thanks for the explaination of the making of your amazing card.
Your POTW is awesome .Karen's rosette wands are divine .
Shirley-Anne

Sue Lelli said...

Wow, Lisa! You are becoming quite the pro with your mixed media projects! LOVE the cake but really LOVE the crossword puzzle subtle background! FAB creation!

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely love your mixed paper tree, and the background is stunning! Fantastic to have that detailed information about how you created it - thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Have a great week...
Alison x

lalkygirl said...

What a stunning creation, so many beautiful details and such a striking design....love it
Tracey x

Unknown said...

Really love your artistic collage Lisa, such pretty papers, colours and elements! Supercool background! Well done! Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Pia S said...

I really enjoyed learning about your process of making this tree. I think you did great with the crosswords background and I think it's a great combination of DPs' that you selected for this project.

Anne-Elise said...

What a great piece of art, Lisa! Your tree is just gorgeous! Love the background and all the fab details! Great work! Hugs

MiniOwner said...

What an amazing card. TFS
Sue x

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful project Lisa! I love your whimsical tree and fun patterned papers! I sure can appreciate the detail! Happy Holidays!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Oh la la! This is gorgeous!!! I love the bursts of colours, it's such a cheerful project :). Always a real joy to peek in here! xx

Tracy said...

Awesome! Love mixed media and the layering is just fabulous. That's one stylin' tree Lisa! :-) Hugs!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love your project- I have that Mixed Media project on my bucket list! Beautiful job!

Michelle said...

Hi Lisa

Oh it's nice to be able to comment again!! (at least I hope it is going to work this time).

I love your mixed media project. What a wonderful idea to make these pieces to hand down.

Lovely POTW too, I still have not made a rosette yet, I must give it a go.

Michelle :o)

Marjorie said...

Beautiful, beautiful work Lisa, love what you have done this week:)... Fabulous pick for this week too, such lovely rosette's
Hugs,
Marjorie
xx

Lisa Minckler said...

Well, I'm on the floor!! 6 x 12??? That's incredible. I loved seeing the process and I was amazed to see that you could still see the crossword puzzle coming through after you made it transparent! That's incredible. You have so many wonderful tips n' tricks up your sleeve. I about laughed myself silly with your "way way way off" comment. LOL! What a hoot, but I completely HEAR you!
Love what you have created here L1. Memories and treasures for the family are the BEST gifts ever and thank you also for the very nice shout out for VOSP too. :)
Your POTW....LOVE her creative mind!!!
hugs to you my friend,
L2

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

Beautiful piece Lisa, I saw it on Make it Monday and glad I came to see it close up. I love the effect of the diluted acrylic and great to see the step by step all the way through.
:) Chris / CS Designs

Margaret said...

There are not enough caps to express how much I LOVE this piece! You have really embraced this art form and I am in awe of your eye for placing just the right thing in the perfect place! The papers on the tree are so pretty and I love those flowers too! The crossword peeping through is so wonderful! I'm sure your way way way future grandchildren are going to cherish these pieces!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...