Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A little out of order....


I know, where's February? Well it will be here soon but for today I am sharing the month of May from my altered project.

Since May is the month we celebrate Mother's Day, in the US, I thought I'd dedicate this one to my mother. I'll start by explaining what everything means on this page beginning with my red base. Red is her favorite color with pink a close second and you'll see that combo used in the flower embellishment & ribbon as well as the sentiment below. The button and the sewing pattern paper echoes her love of sewing and she was quite the seamstress. I was very young but I remember her making matching outfits for my sister and I and a coordinating one for her. We were attending a special event at the AFB my Dad was stationed at and the Thunderbirds were there to perform. Our outfits stood out and I have to say we looked good, insert big smile here, and my Dad was so proud of us. He's 84 years old and he remembers that day vividly. It was a good day! Moving along, the music clip is there because she loved to sing, could play piano and organ, and loved listening to music. The  bling swirl represents her 'love of bling" and the "S" is for Sally, her name. Actually it is Sarah but she doesn't like being called Sarah because her cousin teased her and pronounced it SAY-RAH, lol. So Sally she became and the long stem red rose comes from a tradition I started many years ago. Around the age of 12, I would visit the mall where my mom worked and I'd buy one long stem red rose and write a note that read "One perfect rose for one perfect Mother" and take it to her. She loved those roses and I loved giving them to her! :-) The angel reminds me of a cross-stitched angel she made me, Angel of Love, which has hundreds of teeny tiny seed pearls on it. I don't know how her eyes held out to do such intricate work but it is gorgeous and more precious than gold to me.

There's one thing I haven't explained yet and that's the text paper from the same dp collection. Printed all over is the word-Memory & Memories. In 2009, my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and shortly afterwards her craft career came to an end. (She was quite the crafter!) At the time she was heavily into cardmaking but she was having difficulty with keeping her thoughts on track, numbers were an issue and her eyesight was poor. She made the decision to stop crafting altogether and graciously passed on her cardmaking supplies to my dd and I as we'd just begun to make handmade cards in early 2010. I don't know how much longer she will know us, only God does, but I am truly thankful for memories that will last a lifetime. There's so much more I could share like what a wonderful gardener she was and how delicious her homemade Chocolate Pie is and that she'll be 76 on her next birthday...

Thanks for letting me share and hope yours is a blessed day!
~Lisa

Stamps: Fresh Flowers & Tweet Hearts (Taylored Expressions)
Ink: Memento Ladybug & Rosebud
Paper: the Thrift Shop & Fly a Kite (October Afternoon), cardstock
Accessories: Die-namics Decorative Doily (MFT); Charming Oval Die (Verve); black swirl bling (Want 2 Scrap); felt flower & butter from stash; music clip & metal "S" (PS); rub-on rose (Paper House Productions); mini-dated calendar download (TE store); angel (Hobby Lobby); Word Fetti Family Findings (Making Memories); red pearls (Kaisercraft)

2 comments:

Lisa Minckler said...

Sigh...
As I type this with watered eyes, I just want to say thank you. I can't begin to fathom what you are going through, but your strength and love for your mom and your memories comes shining through.
Lisa, I just don't even have the words to truly describe how this touched my heart. So, so much love on this page.
Thank you for the journey into your life. It's the one thing that I truly admire about crafters, they are inspired by their life and their experiences and their memories and have the most beautiful way of sharing it with others.
Wow, I'm just so touched by this.
Beautiful work my friend.
And when I say hugs to you, I mean hugs to you...you're a beautiful person and this just means so much.
You have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving with your family!
Lisa xx

Mona Pendleton said...

What a wonderful keepsake Lisa and such a sweet tribute to your Mom :) Surely will be treasured for years to come! Thanks for sharing the inspiration behind each detail!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...